KSBR News

Hear news On-Air every half hour Weekdays 6am to 8:30am & at noon.

KSBR News Briefs on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018

 

Teacher: Bullet lodged in boy's head after school shooting

A 12-year-old Los Angeles boy wounded two weeks ago when a gun in a classmate's backpack accidentally fired still has the bullet lodged in his head.

The boy’s former teacher Bridgette Robinson wrote in a post on a GoFundMe fundraising page Issa Al-Bayati suffers bouts of dizziness, has trouble walking and has vision problems. He will require another surgery and months of treatment. Robinson recently visited the one-bedroom apartment where the Al-Bayati family lives. She said she was struck by the boy's resiliency and spirit after the shooting.

Issa was in a classroom at the school on Feb. 1 when the gun went off in the 12-year-old girl's backpack. The bullet struck a 15-year-old girl in the wrist before hitting Issa in the head.

Robinson wrote if it weren't for the bullet first entering the hand of a fellow classmate, he wouldn’t be alive today. The 12-year-old girl was arrested and charged with being a minor in possession of a firearm and having a weapon on school grounds.

Doctors have said Issa's injuries aren’t life-threatening. It's not clear if the bullet in his head will be removed in a future surgery.

 

Golfer Bill Haas escapes serious injury in crash; 1 killed

Professional golfer Bill Haas was hospitalized but escaped serious injuries following a rollover crash in Los Angeles that killed the driver of the Ferrari he was riding in and injured the driver of a BMW.

Los Angeles police officer James Stoughton says the two cars collided on a residential block in the wealthy Pacific Palisades neighborhood around 6:30 last night.

He says a third vehicle driven by actor Luke Wilson was clipped by the Ferrari.

Wilson wasn’t hurt.

The golfer’s manager Allen Hobbs says the Ferrari's driver, who died at the scene, was a member of the family that Haas was staying with as he prepared to play this week in the Genesis Open at nearby Riviera Country Club.

He was identified by coroner's officials as Pacific Palisades resident 71-year-old Mark Gibello.

 

At judge's urging, sides reach deal over Orange County homeless

Working at the demand of a federal judge in a case that could have broad influence, public officials and homeless advocates have reached an agreement providing motel rooms and other shelter for homeless people who are being kicked out of an encampment in an Orange County riverbed.

U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter has stepped into the process of the eviction.

Yesterday he insisted the two sides get together for several hours and come up with a solution.

Carter called on Orange County officials, veterans, women's advocates and others to step up and offer solutions for those living on the 2-mile stretch of riverbed trail once popular with joggers and bikers that has been overrun by tents, trash and human waste.

Orange County, home to just over 3 million people between Los Angeles and San Diego, started telling the homeless last month officials were closing the encampment of tents and tarps and offering to store belongings and help find shelter.

Homeless advocates sued and sought protection from the courts when they heard authorities were going to start citing or arresting people who refused to budge.

The ruling will only cover people living in the encampment near the stadium that hosts the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

When they emerged from discussions, Orange County officials said they would use motels and other means to get 700 to 800 beds for the homeless driven from the encampment in Anaheim.

 

California teacher defends anti-military comments

City Council members in a Los Angeles suburb passed a resolution last night condemning and asking for the resignation of one of their colleagues who in his work as a school teacher called members of the U.S. military "the lowest of our low."

"God bless America!" one Pico Rivera councilman shouted as the vote passed.

Councilman Gregory Salcido, who has been on leave from El Rancho High School in Pico Rivera, is seen on a video scolding a 17-year-old student wearing a U.S. Marine Corps sweatshirt and urging him not to join the military.

Salcido said on a recording made by a student, "They're not like high-level thinkers, they're not academic people, they're not intellectual people; they're the frickin' lowest of our low. I don't understand why we let the military guys come over here and recruit you at school. We don't let pimps come in the school."

The video was posted to social media and has drawn millions of views, along with outraged comments.

President Trump's Chief of Staff John Kelly said last month in a radio interview that Salcido "ought to go to hell" for his remarks.

Mayor Gustavo Camacho called it "bullying, arrogant and aggressive behavior." The council can't force Salcido from his post but Camacho introduced a motion to censure Salcido, which would bar him from city committees and appointments, and to ask him to resign from the council.

 

Denied mic, foes of offshore drilling plan hold rallies

With giant inflatable whales, signs that read "Drilling Is Killing," and chants of "Where's our meeting?," opponents of President Trump's plan to open most of the nation's coastline to oil and natural gas drilling have held boisterous rallies before public meetings held by the federal government on the topic.

That's because the public can’t speak to the assembled attendees at the meetings. The U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management is meeting one-on-one with interested parties, and allows people to comment online, including typing comments on laptops the agency provides. People can also hand BOEM officials written comments to be included in the record.

What they can't do is get up at a microphone and address the room. That has led drilling opponents on both coasts to hold their own meetings before the official ones begin. The latest will take place today in Hamilton, New Jersey.

Trump's decision last month to open most of the nation's coast to oil and gas drilling horrified environmentalists, and many elected officials from both parties oppose it. But energy groups and some business organizations support it as a way to become less dependent on foreign energy. An Interior Department official quoted on the BOEM home page announcing the drilling plan praised it as a way for the U.S. to achieve "energy dominance."

 

Family who buried wrong man sues Orange County

Relatives who thought they had buried their loved one only to find out he was alive 11 days after his funeral sued Orange County.

The suit filed by Frank Kerrigan's family accuses the Orange County Coroner's Office of negligence, concealment and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims.

County spokeswoman Carrie Braun says she can't comment on pending litigation but that the sheriff's department is conducting an internal investigation.

She says "The department extends regrets to the family of Frank M. Kerrigan for any emotional stress caused as a result of this unfortunate incident."

The mix-up began when a man was found dead behind a Verizon store in Fountain Valley.

Frank Kerrigan's father, who goes by the same name as his son, said the Orange County Coroner's Office told him the body was his son's.

According to the lawsuit, when he asked whether he should identify the body, a woman at the coroner's office said — apparently incorrectly — that identification had been made through fingerprints. Another family member who talked to the coroner's office said a woman told her Kerrigan also had been found with his identification.

Last May, Kerrigan's family buried a man.

Eleven days later, Kerrigan turned up at a family friend's house. The friend called Kerrigan's family to tell them he was alive.

The man the Kerrigan family had buried turned out to be a Kansas native named John Dickens, who had to be exhumed before he was cremated and sent to his mother in Kansas.

Both Kerrigan and Dickens were homeless and mentally ill.

Kerrigan's family also alleges that the body found at the Verizon store was neither Kerrigan nor Dickens.

 

Lowe's and Home Depot plan to hire seasonal workers

Lowe's and Home Depot plan on hiring thousands of workers to fill seasonal jobs as the spring and summer rush approaches.

Mooresville, North Carolina-based Lowe's Cos. plans to hire more than 53,000 full-time, part-time and seasonal workers to meet demand at its more than 1,700 stores in the U.S. It will hold a hiring event Feb. 21 at its locations throughout the U.S., from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Atlanta-based The Home Depot Inc. plans to hire over 80,000 seasonal workers at its more than 2,280 stores. The company on Wednesday unveiled a new app that allows job-seekers to self-schedule an interview. The tool has been in pilot testing since November.

Lowe's employs nearly 250,000 people across the U.S., while Home Depot employs more than 400,000 people.